Mosquitoes are distributed in 3500 species and are found around the world.
They do not all sting but when they bite, it is the female who does it.
The mosquito egg gives birth to an aquatic larva, then to a nymph, and finally to a winged adult.
The mosquito is often considered as a nuisance, but it should not be forgotten that this insect pollinates the flowers by foraging them and thus contributes to the propagation of flowering plants such as bees.
But it must be said that mosquitoes carry many diseases and are considered in some countries as a real scourge.
For example, the tiger mosquito appeared in France only a few years ago and has invaded all of southern France. If you plan to go on holiday in France, take your precautions.
What can you do to protect yourself from mosquitoes without using chemicals?
Here are some ways you can exploit:
- Limit nesting sites, especially stagnant water (beware, tiger mosquito larvae can develop simply in a wet area such as mud or compost)
- Protect yourself with covering clothes, mosquito nets, especially in the morning and evening (be careful, the tiger mosquito can sting all day)
- Put cobwebs everywhere (I do not know if you prefer mosquitoes or spiders …)
- Sleeping under a mosquito net (be careful, the mesh should be very thin and the mosquito net should go under the mattress)
- Use a fan (the mosquito’s flight is quite unstable and can not stand wind)
In conclusion, no ideal solution. Keep this rule to eliminate all kinds of stagnant water and avoid dark places. I know people who decided to cut the hedges around their homes: the effect was spectacular.